Table of Contents
Physiotherapy is a necessary treatment for many people. It helps to improve mobility and function, and can even help to prevent injuries from happening in the first place. But how much does physiotherapy cost? And how can you make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck?
In this article, we’ll discuss the average cost of physiotherapy treatments, as well as some tips on how to get the most out of your visits.
How Much Does Physiotherapy Cost in Ontario?
The average cost of physiotherapy will depend on a number of factors, including the type of treatment, how often you need to see a physiotherapist, and where you live.
In general, an hour-long physiotherapy session in Toronto/GTA should cost anywhere from $115 to $250 (you don’t have to pay HST/GST because physiotherapy is exempt).
There isn’t a standard rate that’s been prescribed for physiotherapists, and costs can vary based on:
- Fees for the physiotherapist’s time
- Costs of maintaining the office (rent, electricity, etc.)
- Use of special equipment
- Specialized services or treatments
That’s why if you ask, “how much does physiotherapy cost in Ontario” the answer will depend on where you get treatment and the type of treatment you’re getting.
Different treatments will have different costs. (Know the difference between massage therapy and physiotherapy?) You may also be charged a higher rate if you see a physiotherapist who has specialized training in a particular area, such as sports medicine.
For example, manual therapy, which involves the physiotherapist using their hands to manipulate your muscles and joints, is typically more expensive than exercise-based therapy. Another common example is pelvic floor physiotherapy (very helpful during and after pregnancy), which can also be slightly more expensive.
Stop Guessing Physiotherapy Prices
What Might Not Be Included in Physiotherapy Fees?
The cost of physiotherapy treatment may not include any assessments or tests that are required before treatment can begin. For example, if your physiotherapist needs to order an X-ray or MRI in order to make a diagnosis, you will likely be responsible for paying the associated costs.
If the physiotherapist prescribes exercises at home that require specialized equipment, such as exercise bands, you’ll have to pay for that separately.
Importance of Visiting a Reputed Clinic Rather Than Searching for “Cheap” Physiotherapy
It’s important to remember that physiotherapy is an investment in your health, and you should always prioritize quality care over cheap care. It’s smart to look for cost-effective care, but it’s advisable that cost isn’t the only factor that you take into account when choosing a physiotherapist.
You should also consider the qualifications and experience of the physiotherapist, as well as the location and hours of the clinic. Don’t forget to check online for the kind of reviews the clinic has received.
Physiotherapy covered by OHIP or extremely discounted services can be tempting, too, but you should be prepared for:
1. Long waits – Depending on how busy the clinic is, you may be in for a long wait or long gaps between sessions.
2. Set number of treatments – OHIP only allows a set number of treatments (up to a maximum of 20), which isn’t ideal for long-term rehabilitation.
3. Providers trying to cut costs – When clinics charge very discounted prices, their priority is providing care as inexpensively as possible. That may mean group sessions, rushed sessions, and no manual therapy.
You Don’t Get What You Don’t Pay For
If a physiotherapist’s pricing is really low, it could be because they’re not well-reviewed or inexperienced. It’s possible that the clinic is more interested in getting people through the door rather than providing quality care. There’s also the matter of equipment. A clinic that’s charging less for its services is likely using older, less effective equipment.
And let’s not forget the risk of hidden fees and charges too.
So while it may be tempting to try to save money by going for physiotherapy covered by OHIP, it’s important to remember that you get what you pay for. In the end, it’s worth spending a bit more to get quality care that will actually help.
Tips and Tricks to Save on Physiotherapy Fees (and Get Sessions for Free)
While the cost of physiotherapy in Ontario can seem expensive, there are a few ways that you can save on the cost of your treatments. Here are a few tips and tricks:
- Check your employment insurance: Some employers offer physiotherapy services as part of their employee benefits package.
- See if your personal insurance plan offers extended health coverage for physiotherapy: Many private health insurance plans cover at least a portion of the cost of physiotherapy treatments.
- Statutory accident benefits: If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident, your physiotherapy treatments may be covered under Ontario’s Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule.
Direct billing means your insurer or benefits provider will be billed directly by the physiotherapy clinic. That means you don’t have to file a claim to be reimbursed for physio costs, effectively making your treatment “free of charge”.
- Ask about payment plans: Many physiotherapy clinics offer payment plans or discounts for those who pay for a package of treatments up front.
- Check for offers and discounts: You can sometimes find offers and discounts (and even free initial assessment) for physiotherapy treatments in local flyers or online.
- Claim physiotherapy expenses on your tax return: You can deduct out-of-pocket physiotherapy expenses as “medical services by medical practitioners” in your income tax return (includes services provided by physiotherapists, nurse practitioners, and doctors)
- Look for government-funded physiotherapy services: The Ontario government offers free of charge and low-cost physiotherapy services to eligible Ontarians. Look for ones such as the Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinic Program (for people recovering from an accident or surgery) and the Ontario Disability Support Program.
At White Pine Health We Provide Value and Care
At White Pine Health, we follow a simple motto: exceptional health care, exceptional value, every time. We talk to you to understand what you want and map out a treatment plan that fits your health goals.
Call or visit us to talk about your health concerns.
We help hundreds of people improve mobility, manage pain, and improve their quality of life. Our team will help you take advantage of your insurance coverage and reduce the cost of physiotherapy. White Pine Health offers direct billing.